Transportation Activities Affecting the Environment
Transportation activities involve separate modes supporting
the movements of passengers and freight (within or
between modes). Each has an
Not mentioned are telecommunication infrastructures
that are consuming materials and energy as well.
- Infrastructure. Construction and maintenance of transport
infrastructure requires resources (materials),
energy and land.
- Vehicle manufacture. Involves the resources
and energy consumed in the manufacturing process.
- Vehicle travel. The outcome of transport vehicle use, which
varies by mode, usually involve the consumption
of fossil fuels.
- Vehicle maintenance. The consumption
and disposal of parts during maintenance, including
- Vehicle disposal. Once the useful
life of a vehicle is over, it must be disposed and