Source: National Household Travel Survey, FHWA, 2001.
- Work. Commutes performed towards the workplace, which represents approximately 34% of daily commutes.
- Business (work). Trips from the workplace to a business destination.
- Business (personal). Trips related to personal activities such as restaurants.
- Shopping. Commutes towards any store regardless of its size, merchandise, or whether or not any purchases are made. These commutes represent approximately 13% of all daily travel.
- Recreational. Commutes performed with the intention of recreation such as a cultural or sport event. Similar to shopping, these represent about 12% of daily commutes.
- Education. Commutes towards a learning establishment by those seeking any type of training, regardless of the level of learning. These commutes represent 3.5% of the daily travel total.
- Social. Trips related to social activities such as visiting family or friends.