Jean-Paul Rodrigue (2017), New York:
Routledge, 440 pages.
Chapter 5 - International Trade and Freight Distribution
Globalization, trade and freight transportation are interrelated
and concern a mobility scale that spans nations and often continents.
This transnational mobility is subject to many geopolitical considerations such
as who controls trade routes and what forms of competition and cooperation
have emerged with expanded trade relations. Processes related to economic
integration, the fragmentation of production
systems due to outsourcing and offshoring are
interdependent and have favored to setting of global commodity
chains, from the extraction of raw materials, manufacturing, to final
consumption. This requires an understanding of logistics and the growing
level of integration between production, distribution and consumption.
- Arvis, J-F, M.A. Mustra, L. Ojala, B. Shepherd and D. Saslavsky (2012) Connecting to Compete 2012 Trade Logistics in
the Global Economy, Washington, DC: The World Bank.
- Arvis, J-F, B. Shepherd, Y. Duval, and C. Utoktham (2013)
Trade Costs and Development: A New Data Set, Economic Premise,
The World Bank, No. 104.
- Barke, M. (1986) Transport and Trade, Edinburgh: Oliver &
- Bernstein, W.J. (2008) A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped
the World, New York: Atlantic Monthly Press.
- Boile, M., S. Theofanis and A. Strauss-Wieder (2009)
"Feasibility of Freight Villages in the NYMTC Region: Task 3 -
Description of How a Typical Freight Village Works", New York
Metropolitan Transportation Council.
- Bookbinder, J.H. (ed) (2012) Handbook of Global Logistics:
Transportation in International Supply Chains, New York:
- Bowersox, D.J., E. Smykay and B. LaLonde (1968) Physical Distribution
Management. Logistics Problems of the Firm, New York/London: MacMillan.
- Bowersox, D.J., D. Closs and T. Stank (2000) "Ten Mega-Trends
that will Revolutionize Supply Chain Logistics", Journal of Business
Logistics, Vol. 21, pp. 1-16.
- Braudel, F. (1982) The Wheels of Commerce. Civilization and
Capitalism 15th-18th Century, Vol. II. New York: Harper & Row.
- Brooks, M. (2008) North American Freight Transportation: The
Road to Security and Prosperity, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Cattaneo. O., G. Gereffi, S. Miroudot and D. Taglioni (2013)
Joining, Upgrading and Being Competitive in Global Value Chains:
A Strategic Framework, The World Bank, Policy Research Working
- CEMT (2005) Transport and International Trade, Conclusions of
Round Table 131.
- Coyle, W. W. Hall, and N. Ballenger (2001) "Transportation Technology
and The Rising Share of U.S. Perishable Food Trade", Economic Research
Service/USDA, Changing Structure of Global Food Consumption and
Trade / WRS-01-1.
- Daniels, J.D., L.H. Radebaugh and D. Sullivan (2012) International Business:
Environments and Operations, 14th Edition, New York: Prentice Hall.
- Dicken, P. (2011) Global Shift: Mapping the Changing Contours
of the World Economy, 6th Edition, New York: The Guilford Press.
- Freidberg, S. (2009) Fresh: a perishable history. Harvard
- Fujita, M., P. Krugman and A.J. Venables (1999) The Spatial
Economy: Cities, Regions and International Trade, Cambridge: MIT
- Gave, C., A. Kaletsky and L.V. Gave (2005) Our Brave New World,
New York: GaveKal Research.
- Ge, W. (1999) "Special Economic Zones and the Opening of the
Chinese Economy: Some Lessons for Economic Liberalization",
World Development, Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 1267-1285.
- Hesse, M. (2008) The City as a Terminal: The Urban Context of
Logistics and Freight Transport, Aldershot, Hampshire: Ashgate.
- Hesse, M. and J-P Rodrigue (2004) "The Transport Geography of
Logistics and Freight Distribution", Journal of Transport Geography,
Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 171-184.
- Hummels, D. (2001) Time as a Trade Barrier, GTAP Working
Paper No. 18.
- Lakshmanan, T.J. et al. (2001)
Integration of Transport and Trade Facilitation: Selected Regional
Case Studies, Washington: World Bank.
- Lecavalier, J. (2016) The Rule of Logistics: Walmart and and
Architecture of Fulfillment, Minneapolis: University of
- Mangan, J., C. Lalwani, T. Butcher and R. Javadpour
(2011) Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Second
Edition, New York: Wiley.
- Notteboom, T., F. Parola, G. Satta and M. Risitano (2016) "A
Taxonomy of Logistics Centres: Overcoming Conceptual Ambiguity",
Transport Reviews, 37(3), pp. 1-24.
- O'Connor, K. (2010) "Global City Regions and the Location of
Logistics Activity", Journal of Transport Geography, Vol. 18,
No. 3, pp. 354-362.
- Stroh, M. (2006) A Practical Guide to Transportation and
Logistics, Third Edition, Dumont, NJ: Logistics Networks.
- Sheffi, Y. (2012) Logistics Clusters: Delivering Value and
Driving Growth, Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Spulber, D.F. (2007) Global Competitive Strategy, Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.
- Suarez-Villa, L. (2003) "The E-economy and the Rise of
Technocapitalism: Networks, Firms, and Transportation", Growth
and Change, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 390-414.
- Taaffe, E.J., H.L. Gauthier and M.E. O'Kelly (1996) Geography
of Transportation, Second Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ:
- Tallec, F. and L. Bockel (2005) Commodity Chain Analysis:
Constructing the Commodity Chain Functional Analysis and Flow
Charts, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Theofanis, S. and M. Boile (2009) "Empty Marine Container Logistics:
Facts, Issues and Management Strategies", Geojournal, Vol. 74, pp.
- Thompson, J.F., P.E. Brecht, T. Hinsch, and A.A. Kader
(2000) Marine container transport of chilled perishable produce,
University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural
Resources, Publication 21595.
- Waters, D. and S. Rinsler (2014) Global Logistics: New
Directions in Supply Chain Management. London: Kogan Page.
- World Bank (2014) Connecting to Compete: Trade Logistics in
the Global Economy, Washington, DC: The World Bank.
- World Economic Forum (2012) The Shifting Geography of Global
Value Chains: Implications for Developing Countries and Trade
Policy, Global Agenda Council on the Global Trade System.
- World Trade Organization (various years) International Trade
- World Trade Organization (2008) World Trade Report 2008:
Trade in a Globalizing World, Geneva, Switzerland: World Trade