Source: Stopford, M. (2002) Is the Drive For Ever Bigger Containerships Irresistible?, Lloyds List Shipping Forecasting Conference
- The ship (23%) which includes operating expenses, capital costs and bunker fuel. This share diminishes with economies of scale, implying larger containerships being in operation.
- The containers (18%) including leasing and maintenance costs.
- Ports and terminals (21%), including stevedoring.
- Inland transport (25%), including trucking and rail.
- Other costs, including container repositioning (13%).