Mitchel's Pizza Dough
Ingredients (3 small pizzas)
- 1 2/3 cup white starter
- ½ cup whole wheat or rye flour
- 5 ½ cups white bread flour
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons salt
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon (½ package) yeast
- Mix (35-40 minutes)
- Measure all ingredients except salt into mixer bowl.
- Mix, using dough hook, at lowest speed, for 5 minutes. Dough should be stickier than a bread machine dough -- it should stick to the bottom of the mixing bowl slightly.
- Push dough off hook, cover bowl with towel, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Mix, using dough hook, at lowest speed, for 4 minutes.
- Mix, using dough hook, at next speed up, for 4 minutes.
- Allow to rise in fridge over night, then at room temperature for about 2 hours, until doubled.
- Put pizza stone in oven and preheat oven for one hour at highest temperature.
- Punch down dough and shape into 3 pizza crusts on a floured pizza peel.
- Add tomato sauce, cheese and other toppings.
- Bake on pizza stone, 15 minutes at highest possible temperature.
Mike's Pizza Dough
Ingredients (two 12" pizzas)
- 2 ½ cups Dominick’s® High Gluten Flour
- 1 cup water, plus a dash to ensure all flour gets kneaded in
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. Fleishman’s active yeast
- Use pizza dough setting on bread machine OR use Mitchel's mixer directions (above).
- Place dough ball in bowl coated with olive oil.
- Let rise for 1 ½ hours after removing from bread machine or for 2 ½ hours if using mixer.
- Refrigerate overnight - up to 24 hours.
- Separate into two balls. Flatten and stretch each ball into a 12-13" pizza. Use lots of flour to powder the dough during stretching, to ensure it slides well from the paddle onto
the pizza stone.
- Preheat pizza stone in oven for 45 minutes at 600° or as high as the oven goes.
- Allow cheese to warm to room temperature before using.
- Make your tomato sauce thicker than you would for pasta.
- Be very conservative in how much sauce you apply, as it will spread as pizza cooks.
- Assemble pizza on floured pizza paddle, then transfer to stone in oven.
- Cooking time approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Place basil leaves on pizza during just the last 1-2 minutes of cooking
Mike's tomato sauce for pizza
(for 4 pizzas)
- Saute ½ finely chopped onion and 1 clove garlic in olive oil.
- Add one can crushed tomatoes; 6-8 oz. chopped oil cured sun dried tomatoes; oregano; thyme and/or rosemary; one chopped hot chili pepper (no seeds).
- Cook on low heat about one hour until gloppy rather than wet.
- Whirl in blender (low setting) or food processor until smooth.
Beyond Tomato and Mozzarella: Sample Toppings
- grape halves and gouda, or apples and Humboldt Fog
- farmer cheese, tomato slices and lox (add fish in last minute only)
- cheddar and broccoli
- baked garlic (with or without tomato sauce and cheese)
- zataar, labneh and sliced onion
- feta and broiled eggplant
Return to Ganzeh Galus Guide Home Page.
More Jewish food and recipes from Ganzeh Galus Guide.
You are visitor number since April 5, 2003.