Cornbread: An American variant of Mamaligia
- 1 cup unbleached white flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup corn meal (whole grain, stone ground)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Put the butter in a yarzheit glass and melt in the microwave.
- Put all dry ingredients in a sifter and sift into a glass bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg, milk and melted butter.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ones with a fork. Don't over-mix!
- Butter a loaf pan or a 9" pie pan and pour batter in.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes, until slightly brown and a knife comes out clean.
You are visitor number since May 1, 2008.