Flourless Chocolate Tort
Round and sweet for the New Year
- 6 oz. (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
- 12 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 6 eggs
- (optional) 1 tsp. Cointreau or Grand Marnier or rum or brandy, or 1 Tbs. espresso
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- Heat oven to 350°. Butter a springform pan.
- Chop chocolate and butter into ¼ slices.
- Melt butter and chocolate on low heat, stirring in one direction and watching carefully to be sure it doesn't scorch.
- Whip eggs, sugar, liqueur, vanilla and salt, using stand mixer or KitchenAid beating paddle, on a fairly high speed, until thick -- about 7 minutes.
- Mix half of the melted chocolate into the whipped eggs. Try to avoid breaking too many bubbles. Then just barely fold in the remaining chocolate.
- Bake in buttered spring form pan 35-45 minutes, until top is solid and a knife comes out clean.
- Cool before attempting to remove pan.
- Serve hot, room temperature or cold, as is or topped with cocoa or whipped cream, or frosted (very gently) with a mixture of ½ melted chocolate and ½ sour cream.
Return to Ganzeh Galus Guide Home Page.
More Jewish food and recipes from Ganzeh Galus Guide.
You are visitor number since Tu B'shvat 5768