Bobess mit burgul
Misha's excellent pareve Tex-Mex Chili Cholent
- 4 cups cooked kidney beans (about 2 cups dried, or 2 cans, rinsed)
- 2-3 Tbs oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tbs chili powder [better: 3/4 Tbs Ethiopian Berube]
- 1 Tbs cumin [or, if using Berube, only 1/4 tsp]
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne or Aleppo pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- handful of fresh cilantro or 1 Tbs dry oregano
- 1/2 cup raw bulgur (cracked wheat) or kasha (buckwheat groats)
- 1 can whole plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups strong vegetable broth,
3 cups water plus
- 1 Tbs Marmite, or
- 1 tsp "Better Than Broth" or
- 1 Tbs tamari
- 1 red onion, chopped
- chopped parsley
- chopped cilantro
- hot sauce or cayenne pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (if served with dairy)
- sour cream (if served with dairy)
- Saute garlic and yellow onions in oil until onions are clear.
- Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne, bay leaves & bulgur/kasha and stirfry for 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes.
- Optional: leave on plata all night.
- Correct spices and serve hot with assorted condiments, dark rye (korn) bread, porter beer and readings from Daniel Pinkwater, Alan Mendelsohn The Boy From Mars.
- Serves about 6 as a main course on rice with corn (or korn) bread
You are visitor number since RH'Sh 2005.