Emma & Sheva
The fruit in the Garden of Eden wasn't an apple, but if had been, this would recipe would have explained why the Man and Eve succumbed.
- 4 lbs tart apples
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- one lemon, including peel
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- Core and peel the apples.
- Peel the lemon (use a vegetable peeler), keeping the peel in as large a piece as practical. Alternatively, zest the lemon.
- Put apples, cider, lemon peel or zest and cinnamon sticks in a large pot.
- Cook over low heat 30 minutes, covered.
- Run mushy apples through a food mill, removing the any left over apple skin, cinnamon sticks and lemon peel (if you used zest, don't bother removing it)
- Return to pot, taste and add cinnamon, nutmeg and/or up to 2 Tbs sugar if desired.
- Cook until thick -- about 1/2 hour.
- Add juice of about 1/2 lemon.
- Cool and eat. Keeps in fridge for several weeks, but it doesn't last that long.
You are visitor number since Oct 11, 2008.