Overnight Oatmeal Macaroons
No-Wheat, Gluten-Free, flourless, Oatmeal Cookiesmodified from Peg Bracken, I Hate to Cook Book
Celiac Warning: Oatmeal is likely to contain small quantities of wheat or other gluten-containing grains unless it is labelled "certified gluten-free"
- 2 cups rolled oatmeal (not instant or steel cut)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- (optional) 1/4 cup currants, raisins or chocolate bits
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or seeds from one cardamom pod, crushed
- Mix oatmeal, sugar and oil.
- Let sit overnight.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. They spread and flatten as they cook, so make them high and far apart.
- Bake at 325 for 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack before eating.
- If you like your cookies smoother in texture, run some or all of the oatmeal through the food processor until it turns into a flour. Substitute melted butter for the oil, skip the overnight sit, and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
You are visitor number .