Cathy V's Mandelfrei-brot
- 2 1/4 cups white or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp anise seed, toasted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (or 3/4 cup oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 Tbs anisette liqueur (Pernod)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put parchment paper or foil on two cookie sheets. Butter/oil
and flour them.
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter. (If using oil, beat it with eggs instead)
- Beat eggs and extract or liqueur together.
- Mix egg mixture into flour mixture and knead together until
- Make four 2 inch wide and ¾ inch high logs. Place on cookie
sheets and flatten them with your hands.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350°.
- Cool. Cut diagonally with serrated knife into ½ inch slices.
- Bake a second time: 10 minutes on one side, then turn and
bake another 10 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
- For traditional pareve mandelbrot,use oil (not butter) and subsitute 1 to 2 cups chopped almonds for the anise. Use vanilla, not anisette.
- Substitute for the anise seed/anisette:
- orange peel,
- chocolate chips,
- sour cherries or