Roasted Eggplant a la Imam Ottolenghi
- 2 egglplants, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil
- thyme or basil
- 1/4 cup yogurt or tehina
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or pressed
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Placing the eggplant halves cut side up, make diagonal cuts, almost down to the skin, to make bite size pieces.
- Paint the cut surface with olive oil. It takes a lot.
- Sprinkle with thyme or basil leaves, or zaatar
- Place on a baking pan and roast in 400° oven for 45 minutes, until browned and soft. It will leak juices that are hard to clean, so line the pan with parchment paper.
- Make the sauce by mixing 1 chopped clove of garlic into 1/4 cup yogurt -- or, instead, 1/4 cup tehina beaten with an equal amount of water. Then drizzle on some olive oil and sprinkle a tsp of zaatar.
- When the eggplant is done, pour sauce on top and serve. Ottolenghi sprinkles pomegranite seeds on top, which is beautiful, delicious and unnecessary.
Return to Ganzeh Galus Guide Home Page.
More Jewish food and recipes from Ganzeh Galus Guide.
You are visitor number
since July, 2013.