Christopher H. Eliot
Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy, Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York, USA
I'm a philosopher of science working on ecology. I'm especially interested in causal understanding in ecology.
I teach in Hofstra's Philosophy and Biology departments, and advise Hofstra's new Minor in Scientific Reasoning and Data Analysis and BS Major in Philosophy.
And I'm Executive Editor of Philosophy, Theory, and Practice in Biology (PTPBio), a free-to-authors, open-access journal.
- “Biodiversity as a General, Scientific Concept” 2015. Ethics, Policy & Environment 18(1):41–43. Comment on Morar et al., “Biodiversity at Twenty-Five Years: Revolution or Red Herring?”
- “Ecological Objects for Environmental Ethics” 2013. in Linking Ecology and Ethics for a Changing World (derived from Cary Conference XIV), Ricardo Rozzi, Steward T.A. Pickett, Clare Palmer, Juan Armesto, and J. Baird Callicott, eds. Springer. pages 219–229. [PDF]
- “The Legend of Order and Chaos: Communities and Early Community Ecology” 2011. in Philosophy of Ecology, Kevin deLaplante et al., eds. Elsevier BV. pages 49–108. [PDF]
- “Hempel's Provisos and Ceteris Paribus Clauses” 2011. Journal for General Philosophy of Science 42:1–12.
- “Competition Theory and Channeling Explanation” 2011. Philosophy & Theory in Biology 3:1–16. [open access]
- An essay review of Darwinism and Its Discontents by Michael Ruse, 2009. Metaphilosophy 40(5):702–710.
- “Method and Metaphysics in Clements's and Gleason's Ecological Explanations”
2007. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 38(1):85–109. [PDF]
- Intro. to Philosophy (S18)
- Philosophy of Biology (F17)
- Introduction to Ethics (F17)
- Ecology & Environmentalism (S17)
- Ornithology/Biol. of Birds (S17)
- Advanced Logic (S17)
- Intro. to Symbolic Logic (F16)
- Philosophy of Science (F16)
- Scientific Reasoning (S16)
- Culture & Expression (S15)
- Philosophy of Health (F14)
Hofstra library journals
Philosophy of Ecology