Jean-Paul Rodrigue (2013), New York:
Routledge, 416 pages.
Chapter 6 - Urban Transportation
Urbanization has been one of the dominant contemporary processes as
a growing share of the global population lives in cities. Considering
this trend, urban transportation issues are of foremost importance to
support the passengers and freight mobility requirements of large urban
agglomerations. Transportation in urban areas is highly complex because
of the modes involved, the multitude of origins and destinations, and
the amount and variety of traffic. Traditionally, the focus of urban
transportation has been on passengers as cities were viewed as locations
of utmost human interactions with intricate traffic patterns linked to
commuting, commercial transactions and leisure/cultural activities.
However, cities are also locations of production, consumption and
distribution, activities linked to movements of freight. Conceptually,
the urban transport system is intricately linked with urban form and
spatial structure. Urban transit is an important dimension of mobility,
notably in high density areas.
- Barry, M. (1991) Through the Cities: The Revolution in Light
Rail Transit. Frankfort Press: Dublin.
- Batty, M. and Y. Xie (1994) "From Cells to Cities" Environment
and Planning B, 21: pp. 531-548.
- Behrens, S., M. Lindholm and J. Woxenius (2008) "The Impact
of Urban Freight Transport: A Definition of Sustainability from
an Actor’s Perspective", Transportation Planning and Technology,
Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 693-713.
- Browne, M., J. Allen, A. Woodburn and M. Piotrowska (2007)
Urban Freight Transport - Literature Review, Transport Studies
Group, University of Westminster.
- Camagni, R., M.C. Gibelli and P. Rigamonti (2002) "Urban
Mobility and Urban Form: the Social and Environmental Costs of
Different Patterns of Urban Expansion", Ecological Economics,
Vol. 40 , pp. 199–216.
- Carter, H. (1995) The Study of Urban Geography, Fourth
Edition, London: Arnold.
- Cervero, R. (1998) The Transit Metropolis: A Global Inquiry,
Washington D.C.: Island Press.
- Crawford, J.H. (2005)
A Brief History
of Urban Form: Street Layout Through the Ages.
- Dablanc, L. (2009) Freight Transport, A Key for the New
Urban Economy. World Bank, Freight Transport for Development: A
Policy Toolkit, July.
- Dablanc, L. and A. Fremont (eds) (2015) La métropole
logistique: le transport de marchandises et le territoire des
grandes villes, Paris : Armand Colin.
- Dimitriou, H. (1993) Urban Transport Planning, New York: Routledge.
- Docherty, I., G. Giuliano and D. Houston (2008) Connected
Cities, in R.D. Knowles, J. Shaw and I. Docherty (eds) Transport
Geographies: Mobilities, Flows and Spaces, London: Blackwell,
- Ewing, R. (1993) "Transportation Service Standards - As If
People Matter", Transportation Research Record 1400, pp.
- Ewing, R. and R. Cervero (2001) "Travel and the Built Environment: a
Synthesis", Transportation Research Record 1780, pp. 87-114.
- Federal Highway Administration (2012) FHWA Freight and Land
Use Handbook, Washington: US Department of Transportation.
- Gottmann, J. (1961) Megalopolis: The Urbanized Northeast Seaboard
of the United States, New York: Twentieth Century Fund.
- Giuliano, G. (1989) "New Directions for Understanding
Transportation and Land Use", Environment and Planning A, Vol.
21, pp. 145-159.
- Giuliano, G., T. O'Brien, L. Dablanc and K. Holliday (2013)
NCFRP Project 36(05)
Synthesis of Freight Research in Urban Transportation Planning,
Washington D.C.: National Cooperative Freight Research Program.
- Gonzalez-Feliu, J., F. Semet and J-L Routhier (eds) (2014)
Sustainable Urban Logistics: Concepts, Methods and Information
Systems, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Gwilliam, K. (ed) (2001) Cities on the Move: A World Bank Urban
Transport Strategy Review, Strategy Paper, Washington, DC: World
- Hanson, S. and G. Giuliano (eds) (2004) The Geography of
Urban Transportation, Third Edition, New York: The Guilford
- Harvey, J. and E. Jowsey (2003) Urban Land Economics, 6th
Edition, Gordonsville: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hesse, M. (1995) "Urban Space and Logistics: On the Road to
Sustainability?", World Transport Policy & Practice, Vol. 1, No.
4, pp. 39-45.
- Hesse, M. (2008) The City as a Terminal: The Urban Context
of Logistics and Freight Transport, Aldershot, Hampshire:
- Isard, W. (1956) Location and Space-Economy. Cambridge, MA:
- Jones, G.M. and M. Douglass (2008) "Mega-urban Regions in
Pacific Asia: Urban Dynamics in a Global Era", Singapore:
- Kaplan, D. and S. Holloway (2014) Urban
Geography, Third Edition, New York: Wiley.
- Kauffman, R.J. (2001) Paving the Planet: Cars and Crops Competing
For Land, Alert, Worldwatch Institute.
- Kenworthy J., F. Laube, P. Newman, P. Barter, T. Raad, C.
Poboon and B. Guia (1999) An International Sourcebook of
Automobile Dependence in Cities, 1960‐ 1990, Boulder: University
Press of Colorado.
- Leinbach, T.R. (2004) "City Interactions: The dynamics of
passenger and freight flows" in S. Hanson and G. Giuliano (eds)
The Geography of Urban Transportation, 3rd ed. New York: The
Guilford Press, pp. 30-58.
- Litman, T. (2015) Evaluating Transportation Land Use
Impacts: Considering the Impacts, Benefits and Costs of
Different Land Use Development Patterns,
Victoria Transport Policy Institute,
- Maccharis, C. and S. Melo (2010) City Distribution and Urban
Freight Transport: Multiple Perspectives. Cheltenham, UK: Edward
- Marchetti, C. (1994) "Anthropological Invariants in Travel
Behaviour", Technical Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 47, No.
1, pp. 75-78.
- Meyer, M.D. and E.J. Miller (2000) Urban Transportation
Planning: A Decision-Oriented Approach, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Mieszkowski, P. and E.S. Mills (1993) “The Causes of
Metropolitan Suburbanization”, The Journal of Economic
Perspectives Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 135-147.
- Mokhtarian, P. L. (2009) "If Telecommunication is Such a
Good Substitute for Travel, Why Does Congestion Continue to Get
Worse?", Transportation Letters, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-17.
- Moore, T. and P. Thorsnes (2007) The Transportation / Land
Use Connection, Washington, D.C.: American Planning Association.
Report # 448/449.
- Muller, P.O. (2004) "Transportation and Urban Form: Stages in
the Spatial Evolution of the American Metropolis", in S. Hanson
and G. Giuliano
(eds) The Geography of Urban Transportation, 3rd Edition, New York:
Guilford, pp. 59-84.
- Newman, P. and J. Kenworthy (1996) "The Land Use - Transport
Connection: An Overview". Land Use Policy, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-22.
- Newman, P. and J. Kenworthy (1999) Sustainability and Cities:
Overcoming Automobile Dependence, Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Newman, P. and J. Kenworthy (2011) "Peak Car Use:
Understanding the Demise of Automobile Dependence", World
Transport Policy and Practice, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 31-42.
- O'Toole, R. (2009) Gridlock: Why we are stuck in traffic and
what to do about it. Washington, DC: The Cato Institute.
- Rietveld, P. (2000) "Nonmotorized Modes in Transport Systems:
A Multimodal Chain Perspective for The Netherlands", Transportation
Research D, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 31-36.
- Rodrigue, J-P (2013) "Urban Goods Transport", in "Planning
and Design for Sustainable Urban Mobility: Global
Report on Human Settlements 2013", United Nations Human
Settlements Programme, London: Earthscan.
- Salomon, I. (1986) "Telecommunications and travel
relationships: a review", Transportation Research Part A: Vol.
20: pp. 223-238.
- Schwanen, T. and M.P. Kwan (2008) "The internet, mobile
phone and space-time constraints", Geoforum, Vol. 39, pp.
- Scott, A.J. (ed) (2001) Global City Regions. Oxford, U.K.:
Oxford University Press.
- Schafer, A. (2000)
Regularities in Travel Demand: An International Perspective,
Journal of Transport Statistics, Vol. 3, No. 3.
- Stutz, R. and A. de Souza (1998) The World Economy: Resources,
Location, Trade and Development, Third Edition, Toronto: Prentice
- Tellier, L.-N. (2009) Urban World History: An Economic and
Geographical Perspective, Quebec: Presses du l'Universite du
- Texas Transportation Institute (2010) The 2010 Annual
Mobility Report, College Station, Texas.
- Thomson, J. M. (1977) Great Cities and Their Traffic. London:
Victor Gollancz Ltd.
- UN-HABITAT (2009) Planning Sustainable Cities. Global Report
on Human Settlements 2009, United Nations Human Settlements
Programme, London: Earthscan.
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute (2010) Automobile Dependency.
Transport Demand Management Encyclopedia,
- Wellman, B. (2001) "Physical place and cyberplace: the rise
of personalized networking". International Journal of Urban and
Regional Research, Vol. 25, pp. 227-252.
- Whiteing, T., M. Browne and J. Allen (2003) "City
logistics: the continuing search for sustainable solutions", in
D. Waters (ed) Global Logistics and Distribution Planning,
London: Kogan Page, pp. 308-320.
- World Bank (2002) Cities on the Move: A World Bank Urban
Transport Strategy Review. Washington: The International Bank
for Reconstruction and Development/World Bank.