Source: Gesamtverband der Deutschen Versicherungswirtschaft (GDV), Berlin 2002-2007.
- Deep freeze (-28 to -30 Celsius). The coldest temperature range that can be maintained by conventional refrigerated units such as reefers. It is mostly for transporting seafood.
- Frozen (-16 to -20 Celsius). Mostly for transporting meat.
- Chill (2 to 4 Celsius). Refers to the standard temperature in a refrigerator and is commonly used to transport fruit, vegetables and fresh meat as it confers optimal shelf life.
- Pharmaceutical (2 to 8 Celsius). Relates to the temperature range most pharmaceutical goods, like vaccines, are transported.
- Banana (12 to 14 Celsius). Relates to the temperature range that one of the world's most produced fruit is shipped to control its ripening. Also used for oranges and pineapples.