Jean-Paul Rodrigue (2013), New York:
Routledge, 416 pages.
Chapter 4 - Transportation Terminals
All spatial flows, with the exception of personal vehicular and
pedestrian trips, involve movements between terminals. Transport modes require assembly and distribution of
their traffic, both passenger and freight. For example, passengers have
to go to bus terminals and airports first in order to reach their final
destinations, and freight has to be consolidated at a port or a rail
yard before onward shipment. Terminals are, therefore, essential links
in transportation chains with many representing substantial
infrastructure and capital investments. The goal of this chapter is to
examine the spatial and functional characteristics of transport
terminals. They occupy specific locations and they exert a strong
influence over their surroundings. At the same time they perform
specific economic functions and serve as clusters of specialized
- Adey, P., L. Budd, and P. Hubbard (2007) "Flying Lessons:
Exploring the Social and Cultural Geographies of Global Air
Travel", Progress in Human Geography, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp.
- Airports Council International (2002) The Economic Impact of
- Airriess, C.A. (2001) "The regionalization of Hutchison Port
Holdings in Mainland China", Journal of Transport Geography, Vol.
9, No. 4, pp. 267-278.
- Baird, A.J. (2006) "Optimizing the Container Transhipment Hub
Location in Northern Europe", Journal of Transport Geography, Vol.
14, No. 3, pp. 195-214.
- Bird J.H (1963) The major seaports of the United Kingdom, London:
- Bird J.H. (1971) Seaports and Seaport Terminals, London: Hutchison.
- Bowen, J.T. (2010) The Economic Geography of Air Transportation:
Space, Time, and the Freedom of the Sky. London:
- Bowen, J.T. and J.L. Cidell (2011) "Mega-Airports: The
Political, Economic, and Environmental Implications of the
World’s Expanding Air Transportation Gateways" in S.D. Brunn (ed)
Engineering Earth: The Impacts of Megaengineering Projects,
Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp.
- Caves, R.E. and G.D. Gosling (1999) Strategic Airport Planning,
- Charlier, J. (1992) “The Regeneration of old port areas for
new port uses” in B. S. Hoyle and D. Hilling (eds) Seaport Systems
and Spatial Change, Chichester: Wiley, pp. 137-154.
- Dempsey, P.S., A.R. Goetz, and J.S. Szyliowicz (1997) Denver
International Airport: Lessons Learned. New York: McGraw Hill.
- De Langen, P.W. (2004) "Analysing Seaport Cluster Performance"
in D. Pinder and B. Slack (eds) Shipping and Ports in the Twenty-first
Century, London: Routledge pp. 82-98.
- Derudder, B., L. Devriendt and F. Witlox (2010) "A Spatial
Analysis of Multiple Airport Cities", Journal of Transport
Geography, Vol. 18, pp. 345-353.
- Doig, J.W. (2001) Empire on the Hudson: Entrepreneurial Vision
and Political Power at the Port of New York Authority, New York:
Columbia University Press.
- Ducruet, C. and S.W. Lee (2006) "Frontline soldiers of
globalization: port-city evolution and regional competition",
GeoJournal, 67(2), pp. 107-22.
- Federal Aviation Administration (2007) Capacity Needs
in the National Airspace System, 2007-2025. Washington.
- Fleming, D.K. and Y. Hayuth (1994) "Spatial characteristics
of transportation hubs: centrality and intermediacy", Journal of
Transport Geography, 2 (1): 3-18.
- Fremont, A. (2007) "Global Maritime Networks: the case of Maersk",
Journal of Transport Geography, 15 (6), pp. 431-442.
- Fuller, G. and R. Harley (2004) Aviopolis: A Book about Airports
London: Black Dog Publishing.
- Goetz, A.R and J.S. Szyliowicz (1997) “Revisiting Transport
Planning and Decision Making: the Case of Denver International Airport”,
Transport Research A, (31), pp. 263-280.
- Goetz, A.R. and J-P Rodrigue (1999) "Transport Terminals: New
Perspectives", Journal of Transport Geography, Vol. 7, pp. 237-240.
- Graham B. (1995) Geography and Air Transport, Chichester: Wiley.
- Hakfoort, J., T. Poot, and P. Rietveld (2001) The regional economic
impact of an airport: The case of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. Regional
Studies, 35 (7): 595-604.
- Hayuth, Y. (1988) "Rationalization and deconcentration of the
U.S. container port system" The professional geographer.
Vol. 40, pp. 279-88.
- Haezenonck, E. (2001) Essays on Strategy Analysis for Seaports
- Hoyle, B.S. (1967) "East African Seaports: An application of
the concept of Anyport", Transactions of the Institute of British
Geographers, pp. 163-83.
- Hoyle, B. (1988) Development Dynamics at the Port-City Interface,
in B.S. Hoyle, D.A. Pinder and M.S. Husain (eds) Revitalising the
Waterfront, Chichester: Wiley.
- Hoyle B.S. (1989) "The port-city interface: trends problems
and examples". Geoforum, Vol. 20, pp. 429-35.
- Ivy, R. L., T.J. Fik, and E.J. Malecki (1995) Changes in
air service connectivity and employment. Environment and Planning
- Kasarda, J.D. and G. Lindsay (2011) Aerotropolis: the way
we'll live next, New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Lappin, T. (1996) The airline of the Internet. Wired, 4 (12).
- Lindsay, G. (2006) Rise of the aerotropolis. Fast Company, July/August:
- McCalla R.J. (1999) "From St. John’s to Miami: Containerisation
at Eastern Seaboard Ports". GeoJournal (48) 15-28.
- McCalla, R.J., Slack, B. & Comtois, C. (2001) "Intermodal freight
terminals: locality and industrial linkages", Canadian Geographer
45(3): pp. 404-413.
- McCalla, R.J. (2004) "From ‘Anyport’ to ‘Superterminal’", in Shipping
an Ports in the Twenty-first Century (eds) D. Pinder and B. Slack
(London: Routledge) 123-142.
- McCalla, R.J. (2008) "Site and Situation Factors in Transshipment
Ports: The Case of the Caribbean Basin", Tijdschrift voor Economische
en Sociale Geografie, Vol. 99, No. 4, pp. 440–453.
- Nottebbom, T. (2004) "Container Shipping and Ports: An Overview",
Review of Network Economics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 86-106.
- Notteboom, T. and J-P Rodrigue (2005) "Port Regionalization:
Towards a New Phase in Port Development", Maritime Policy and Management,
Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 297-313.
- Notteboom, T. and W. Winkelmans (2001) "Structural changes in
logistics: how will port authorities face the challenge?", Maritime
Policy and Management, Vol. 28, pp. 71-89.
- Olivier, D. and B. Slack (2006) "Rethinking the Port", Environment
and Planning A, Vol. 38, pp. 1409 - 1427.
- Pearman, H. (2004) Airports: A Century of Architecture. New
York: Harry N. Abrams.
- Pinder, D. and B. Slack (eds) (2004) Shipping and Ports in
the Twenty-first Century: Globalisation, Technological Change and
the Environment, London: Routledge.
- Porter M.E. (1990) The Competitive Advantage of Nations, London: MacMillan.
- Robinson R, (2002) "Ports as elements in value-driven chain
systems: the new paradigm", Maritime Policy and Management, Vol.
29, No. 3, pp. 241-255.
- Rodrigue, J-P (2008) "The Thruport Concept and Transmodal Rail
Freight Distribution in North America", Journal of Transport Geography,
Vol. 16, pp. 233-246.
- Rodrigue, J-P, and Slack B. (2002) "Logistics and National Security"
in S.K. Majumdar et al. (eds) Science, Technology and National Security,
(Easton, PA: The Pennsylvania Academy of Science), pp. 214 225.
- Rodrigue, J-P and T. Notteboom (2012) "Dry Ports in European
and North American Intermodal Rail Systems: Two of a
Kind?", Research in Transportation Business & Management, Vol.
5, pp. 4-15.
- Rodrigue, J-P, J. Debrie, A. Fremont and E. Gouvernal (2010)
"Functions and Actors of Inland Ports: European and North
American Dynamics", Journal of Transport Geography, Vol. 18, No.
4, pp. 519-529.
- Roso, V., and K. Lumsden (2010) "A Review of Dry Ports",
Maritime Economics & Logistics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 196-213.
- Slack, B. and A. Fremont (2005) "Transformation of Port Terminal
Operations: From the Local to the Global", Transport Reviews, Vol.
25, No. 1, pp. 117-130.
- Slack, B. (1989) "The Port Service Industry in an Environment
of Change". Geoforum (20), 447 457.
- Slack, B. (1994) "Pawns in the Game: Ports in a Global Transport
System", Growth and Change, Vol. 24, pp. 597-98.
- Slack, B. (1999) "Satellite terminals: a local solution to
hub congestion?", Journal of Transport Geography, Vol. 7, pp.
- Slack, B., M. Langford and L. Meana (1994) "Mapping the Changes:
Industrial Montreal, 1861-1929", Urban History Review,
Vol. 22, pp. 97-112.
- Starr, J. (1991) "The Port of Baltimore: off the beaten track?",
Maritime Policy and Management 18, 171-181.
- Talley, W.K. (2009) Port Economics, New York: Routledge.