Jean-Paul Rodrigue (2017), New York:
Routledge, 440 pages.
Chapter 3 - Transportation Modes
Transportation modes are an essential component of transport systems
since they are the means by which mobility is supported. A wide range of modes that may be grouped into three broad
categories based on the medium they exploit: land, water and air. Each
mode has its own requirements and features, and is adapted to serve
the specific demands of freight and passenger traffic. This gives rise
to marked differences in the ways the modes are deployed and utilized
in different parts of the world. More recently, there is a trend towards
integrating the modes through intermodality and linking the modes ever
more closely into production and distribution activities. At the same
time, however, passenger and freight activity is becoming increasingly
separated across most modes.
- Agusdinata, B. and W. de Klein (2002) "The dynamics of airline
alliances", Journal of Air Transport Management, Vol. 8, pp. 201–211.
- Air Transport Association (2010)
The Airline Handbook.
- Air Transport Action Group (2008) The Economic Benefits of Air
- Albalate, D. and G. Bel (2012) The Economics and Politics of
High Speed Rail: Lessons from Experiences Abroad", Lanham,
Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Allaz, C. (2005) History of Air Cargo and Airmail from the
18th Century, London: Christopher Foyle Publishing.
- Bilstein, R.E. (1983) Flight Patterns: Trends of Aeronautical
Development in the United States, 1918-1929. Athens: University
of Georgia Press.
- Bohlman, M.T. (2001) "ISO's container standards are nothing
but good news", ISO Bulletin, Geneva: International Standards
Organization, pp. 12–15.
- Bowen, J. (2010) The Economic Geography of Air
Transportation: Space, Time, and the Freedom of the Sky. London:
- Brooks, M. (2000) Sea Change in Liner Shipping. New York: Pergamon.
- Brueckner, K. (2003) "Airline traffic and urban economic
development", Urban Studies, Vol. 40, No. 8, pp. 1455-1469.
- BTS [Bureau of Transportation Statistics] (2006) America on
the Go: Long Distance Transportation Patterns: Mode Choice. Available
on-line at www.bts.gov.
- Community of European Railways (2002) High Speed Trains around
- Comtois, C. and B.P.Y. Loo (2015) Sustainable Railway
Futures: Issues and Challenges, Transport and Mobility Series,
- Cullinane, K. and M. Khanna (2000) "Economies of Scale in Large
Containerships", Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, Vol.
33, pp. 185-207.
- Davies, R.E.G. (1964) A History of the World’s Airlines. London:
Oxford University Press.
- Dick, R. and D. Patterson (2003) Aviation Century: The Early
Years. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mills Press.
- Economic Commission for Europe (2001) "Terminology on
Combined Transport", New York, United Nations.
- Feigenbaum, B. (2013) High-Speed Rail in Europe and Asia:
Lessons for the United States, Reason Foundation, Policy Study
- Fremont, A. (2007) Le monde en boîtes. Conteurisation et
mondialisation, Paris: Les collections de l'Inrets.
- Goetz, A.R. and L. Dudd (eds) (2014) The Geographies of Air
Transport, Transport and Mobility Series, Farnham, Surrey,
- Givoni, M. (2006) "Development and Impact of the Modern
High-speed Train: A Review", Transport Reviews, Vol. 26, No. 5,
- Graham B. (1995) Geography and Air Transport, Chichester: Wiley.
- Hayuth, Y. (1987) Intermodality: Concept and Practice, Essex: Lloyds of London Press.
- International Transportation Forum (2015) The Impact of Mega
Ships, Paris: OECD.
- Kaluza, P., A. Kölzsch, M.T. Gastner and B. Blasius (2010)
"The Complex Network of Global Cargo Ship Movements", J. R. Soc.
Interface, Vol. 7, No. 48, pp. 1093-1103.
- Lee, J. J., Lukachko, S. P., Waitz, I. A., and Schafer, A. (2001).
"Historical and future trends in aircraft performance, cost and
emissions." Annual Review Energy Environment, Vol. 26, pp. 167-200.
- Levinson, M. (2006) The Box: How the Shipping Container Made
the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger, Princeton: Princeton
- Mitchelson R.L. and Wheeler J.O. (1994), "The flow of information
in a global economy: the role of the American urban system in 1990",
Annals, Association of Americans Geographers, 84(1), p. 87-107.
- Muller, G. (1999) Intermodal Freight Transportation,
4th Edition, Eno Transportation Foundation.
- Notteboom, T. and R. Konings (2004) “Network dynamics in container
transport by barge”, Belgeo, Vol. 5, pp. 461-477.
- Notteboom, T. (2004) "Container Shipping And Ports: An Overview",
Review of Network Economics, Vol. 3, No.2, pp. 86-106.
- Notteboom, T. (2006) "The Time Factor in Liner Shipping Services",
Maritime Economics & Logistics, Vol. 8, pp. 19-39.
- Notteboom, T. (2012) "Container shipping", in W. Talley
(ed.), The Blackwell Companion to Maritime Economics, New York:
Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, pp. 230-262.
- Notteboom, T. and J-P Rodrigue (2009) “The Future of Containerization:
Perspectives from Maritime and Inland Freight Distribution”, Geojournal,
Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 7-22.
- O'Connell, J.F. and G. Williams (2013) Air Transport in the
21st Century: Key Strategic Development, Farnham, Surrey,
- Robinson, R. (2002) “Ports as elements in value-driven chain
systems: the new paradigm”, Maritime Policy and Management , Vol.
29, No. 3, pp. 241-255.
- Rodrigue, J-P and T. Notteboom (2009) "The Geography of Containerization:
Half a Century of Revolution, Adaptation and Diffusion", Geojournal,
Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 1-5.
- Ryder, A. (2012) "High Speed Rail", Journal of Transport
Geography, Vol. 22, pp. 303-305.
- Slack B. (1998) "Intermodal Transportation" in
B.S. Hoyle and R. Knowles (eds) Modern Transport Geography,
Second Edition, Wiley: Chichester, pp. 263-290.
- Smith, R.A. (2003) "The Japanese Shinkansen", Journal of
Transport History, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 222-237.
- Solberg, C. (1979) Conquest of the Skies: A History of Commercial
Aviation in America. Boston: Little, Brown & Company.
- Song, D-W and P.M. Panayides (2012) Maritime Logistics:
Contemporary Issues. Wagon Lane, Bingley, UK: Emerald Group
- Stopford, M. (2009) Maritime Economics, Third Edition, London: Routledge.
- Taaffe, E., H.L. Gauthier and M.E. O'Kelly (1998) Geography
of Transportation, 2nd Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice
- Talley, W.K. (ed) (2012) The Blackwell Companion to Maritime
Economics, New York: Wiley-Blackwell.
- UNCTAD (2013) Review of Maritime Transport, United Nations
Conference on Trade and Development.
- van Klink A. and G.C. van den Berg (1998) “Gateways and intermodalism”
Journal of Transport Geography, Vol. 6, pp. 1-9.
- World Bank (2002) The Evolution of Ports in a Competitive
World, Port Reform Tool Kit.
- World Health Organization (2009)
Global status report on road safety: time for action,
Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Yergin, D. R.H.K. Vietor and P.C. Evans (2000) Fettered Flight:
Globalization and the Airline Industry, Cambridge, MA: Cambridge
Energy Research Associates.