This site is written especially for users of our books, Finite Mathematics, Applied Calculus, and Finite Mathematics and Applied Calculus. However, while the content and material matches that in our books, the material is sufficiently generic so as to be useful to any student or faculty member, regardless of the textbook they are using, and is offered as a free resource for everyone.
Content of the Site
As indicated on the Main Page of the website, the following resources are available:
- Topic Summaries These are detailed summaries of all the chapters in our books. Since the summaries are extensive, complete outlines to the subject material with (sometimes interactive) examples, they are ideal for review purposes, or as a basic introduction to the subject. Users of our books will find them especially helpful. On each summary page you will find links to on-line utilities, quizzes, and review exercises for that topic.
- On-Line Tutorials Unlike the topic summaries, which summarize the content of entire chapters, the tutorials present the material in individual sections within a chapter in greater depth, and are highly interactive. Thus, they are intended to help you familiarize yourself with a new topic, rather than simply to summarize the main ideas in a chapter. These tutorials can be used as first-time introductions to the topics within chapters, and to prepare you for a detailed reading of the book. While tutorials are not yet available for every section in every chapter, new ones are added on a regular basis, so check back frequently for new additions.
- On-Line Text While topic summaries and tutorials revolve around topics in the textbooks, the on-line text presents, in interactive format, complete text material covering optional topics not in the books. This material is intended to be complete, along with exercise sets and answers to odd-numbered exercises. Some of the listed items are in the format of multi-section chapters, while others are single section format.
- True-False Quizzes These short quizzes are based on the material within each chapter, and test your basic comprehension of the concepts in that chapter.
- Review Exercises Like the quizzes, these are based on the material within each chapter, bust test your grasp of the subject more deeply. They can be used to supplement the Chapter Review Tests in the book with additional exercises.
Navigating the Site
The site may be navigated in two ways:
- "Everything" Links Especially useful for users of our books, the "Everything for..." links take you directly to a hot-linked table of contents for the book you are using. There, you will find links to all the resources arranged chapter-by-chapter or section-by-section. As suggested by the name, the "Everything" pages are linked to everything in the site.
- "A-La-Carte" Browse the available summaries, tutorials, etc. by clicking on the appropriate category on the main page.
Stefan Waner and Steven Costenoble
Last Updated: July, 2000