Christopher H. Eliot
Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy, Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York, USA
I'm a philosopher of science working on ecology. I'm especially interested in causal explanations in ecology and biology more generally.
I teach in Hofstra's Philosophy and Biology departments, and advise Hofstra's Minor in Philosophy of Science and BS Major in Philosophy.
From 2016, I'm Executive Editor of Philosophy & Theory in Biology, a peer-reviewed open-access journal.
- “Biodiversity as a General, Scientific Concept” 2015. Ethics, Policy & Environment 18(1):41–43. Comment on Morar et al., “Biodiversity at Twenty-Five Years: Revolution or Red Herring?”
- “Ecological Objects for Environmental Ethics” 2013. in Linking Ecology and Ethics for a Changing World (derived from Cary Conference XIV), Ricardo Rozzi, Steward T.A. Pickett, Clare Palmer, Juan Armesto, and J. Baird Callicott, eds. Springer. pages 219–229. [PDF]
- “The Legend of Order and Chaos: Communities and Early Community Ecology” 2011. in Philosophy of Ecology, Kevin deLaplante et al., eds. Elsevier BV. pages 49–108. [PDF]
- “Hempel's Provisos and Ceteris Paribus Clauses” 2011. Journal for General Philosophy of Science 42:1–12.
- “Competition Theory and Channeling Explanation” 2011. Philosophy & Theory in Biology 3:1–16. [open access]
- An essay review of Darwinism and Its Discontents by Michael Ruse, 2009. Metaphilosophy 40(5):702–710.
- “Method and Metaphysics in Clements's and Gleason's Ecological Explanations”
2007. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 38(1):85–109. [PDF]
- Intro. to Philosophy (S16)
- Scientific Reasoning (S16)
- Symbolic Logic (F15)
- Ornithology/Biol. of Birds (S15)
- Culture & Expression (S15)
- Adv. Symbolic Logic (IS, S15)
- Philosophy of Biology (IS, S15)
- Philosophy of Science (F14)
- Philosophy of Health (F14)
- Introduction to Ethics (F13)
Hofstra library journals
Philosophy of Ecology